Stay Safe with a Carbon Monoxide Detector

by | Apr 26, 2016 | Water Heating

Natural gas is a reliable energy source for many homes, including for heating. It is possible, however, for natural gas to leak out. If this happens, many serious problems can result, which is why any home with natural gas should also have a Carbon Monoxide Detector. There are some other potential causes of dangerous carbon monoxide levels as well, such as a kerosene heater. A detector will keep families safe from trouble due to any of these causes by giving all who live in the home time to get out of the house before serious symptoms develop so that they can find emergency help.

What Are the Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
When people breathe in too much carbon monoxide, it can sicken them in various ways. Common symptoms include nausea, dizziness, headache, and blurry vision. If exposure to a harmful level of carbon monoxide continues, it could lead to weakness, disorientation, and fainting. If no relief is given to those who are in a situation like this, symptoms could worsen even further. Although having these symptoms would alert someone to the possibility of too much carbon monoxide in a home, it is not wise to rely on watching for symptoms. The symptoms could hit suddenly or come while a person is sleeping. Alarm is the best warning system to have since it is always on and will quickly give an alert if needed.

How to Respond to an Alarm
No matter when a carbon monoxide alarm goes off, everyone in the home should head out of the house together. Some family members may already be feeling a bit sick due to exposure to unsafe levels of carbon monoxide. Everyone should get far away from the house, where the air will be fresh, which will likely help any people who are sick to feel better. The fire department should be called as soon as everyone is in a safe location away from the home. Emergency personnel will know the proper protocol for handling the situation, and before long the home should be safe to return to.

A Carbon Monoxide Detector is one of the best investments that families can make since it provides safety and peace of mind. Visit website to learn more about keeping the air in a home clean.

Latest Articles